Current:Home > reviewsBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -Summit Capital Strategies
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-05 21:41:08
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (88)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- You'll savor the off-beat mysteries served up by 'The Kamogawa Food Detectives'
- $1 million reward offered by Australian police to solve 45-year-old cold case of murdered mom
- How slain Las Vegas journalist Jeff German may have helped capture his own killer
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- 'True Detective: Night Country' tweaks the formula with great chemistry
- Presidents Day deals include sandwich, food and drink specials
- 2 officers, 1 first responder shot and killed at the scene of a domestic call in Minnesota
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- 'Oppenheimer' wins 7 prizes, including best picture, at British Academy Film Awards
Ranking
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Cómo migrantes ofrecen apoyo a la población que envejece en Arizona
- Inside the arrest of Nevada public official Robert Telles
- Get Caught Up in Sydney Sweeney's Euphoric People's Choice Awards 2024 Outfit
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Adam Sandler jokingly confuses People's Choice Awards honor for 'Sexiest Man Alive' title
- Chris Brown says he was disinvited from NBA All-Star Celebrity Game due to controversies
- George Santos sues Jimmy Kimmel, says TV host fooled him into making embarrassing videos
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Trump $354 million fraud verdict includes New York business ban for 3 years. Here's what to know.
2 police officers, paramedic die in Burnsville, Minnesota, shooting: Live updates
Get Caught Up in Sydney Sweeney's Euphoric People's Choice Awards 2024 Outfit
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Virginia house explosion kills 1 firefighter, injures over a dozen other people
California again braces for flooding as another wet winter storm hits the state
Astronomers find what may be the universe’s brightest object with a black hole devouring a sun a day